Friday, June 7, 2013

Amber Whittaker | Rho Gamma



Hello! 
My name is Amber Whittaker and I am a recruitment counselor for the 2013 Sorority Formal Recruitment. I am a senior here at Wichita State University and I am majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I was born here in Wichita, Kansas. I went to Wichita Heights High School where I received my high school diploma. I am so glad that I decided to attend WSU and even more grateful that I decided to go through Formal Recruitment and join a sorority. Along with being a Greek woman on campus I am also involved in the Society of Women Engineers. I am very excited about this year’s recruitment and as a Rho Gamma I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and helping women find the chapter that is right for them.

When I was in high school I was not very involved, I was one hundred percent focused on my studies which was good, but there was a lot I missed out on in high school as a result of this. After I graduated this really hit me, I had no special memories from high school and no close friends. From that moment on, I was determined to not allow this to happen in college. 


One day over the summer, I received a Facebook message telling me that I should consider going through sorority formal recruitment. Honestly, I don’t why, but this facebook message was all that it took for me. This was my solution, I knew that being in a sorority was the perfect way to get involved and make friends. When I first told my parents I was thinking about going through sorority recruitment their jaws dropped. They were so shocked that I would even be interested in being in a sorority and to be honest they were a little worried. But ever since I joined, my parents have known that it was one of the best decisions of my life and they have been so supportive ever since.

The actual week of formal recruitment was one of the best weeks of my life and one of my fondest memories. I loved talking to and getting to know the women in the other chapters and getting to know the other women in my recruitment group (when you sign up for recruitment you will be assigned a rho gamma and have 6-10 women in your recruitment group). I enjoyed learning all of the different values, philanthropies and activities that the chapters partook in. 


When it came to actually selecting the chapter for me this was a very difficult decision. I was torn between two different chapters and this is when I needed my Rho Gamma most. She was very supportive and talked to me and told me to choose the chapter that felt right to me. After taking her advice into consideration the choice was not too difficult and when I left that night I remember the excitement that I felt because I knew I chose the right the chapter for me. When I opened my bid card the next day I was so excited and couldn’t wait to start my life as a member of this chapter.

During my time as a sorority woman I have had many great experiences. I have held several leadership roles in my chapter and have really grown as a leader. I have experienced the benefits of social networking, I am currently employed at Cessna Aircraft and I was able to get my foot in the door thanks to an alumni of my chapter. I have been able to participate in many fun activities like hippodrome and Greek mixers. I have made so many friends and have developed so many amazing memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Another special aspect of being in a sorority is that being in your sorority is not something that lasts for four years, but rather something that you get to be a part of for your whole life. Like I said earlier, joining a sorority was one of the best decisions that I have ever made and I can’t wait for each women going through recruitment to obtain the same wonderful experiences that I have during my time as a sorority woman.

Have fun all!
Amber Whittaker