Friday, June 14, 2013

Melissa Heinitz | Rho Gamma



Hey everyone, my name is Melissa Heinitz and I am a Senior at Wichita State.  I am originally from Emporia, Kansas and I graduated from Emporia High School in May 2010.  My major is Exercise Science and Pre-Physical Therapy, and I currently work as a Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor for WSU Campus Recreation! 

I went through Formal Recruitment myself three years ago as a Freshman, and it certainly changed my entire college life.  I have had my best experiences and memories in college because of getting involved and being Greek!  The friendships, opportunities, and experiences are truly special and have made a huge impact on who I am and what I will do with my future.  If you had asked me when I was a Senior in high school if I were to go Greek, I would have looked at you like you were crazy and would have said “no way!”.  Then I came to Wichita and moved into the dorms and found that I was totally lost and homesick.  I needed a new place to call home, and without realizing it I found that very place when I went through Formal Recruitment. 
All of my roommates were going Greek, and they had taken me to an informational meeting to convince me to join them.  It worked and I signed up – at the last second.  If I could go back now, that would be what I would change: sign up as soon as you can so you have plenty of time to get to know your Rho Gamma.  Ask any and all the questions that pop into your head and get prepared for the Recruitment process – really reflect on your values and how you want to show yourself to your potential future sisters.  Being confident and knowing what to expect will make Recruitment much easier and less stressful, though no matter what it almost always becomes a favorite memory looking back!

This is my second year of being a Rho Gamma, and I could not be more excited!  I cannot wait to guide another fantastic group of girls through Recruitment, to really get to know those girls, and to have a little fun along the way.  Trust your Recruitment Counselor and the Recruitment Team – we are there to help!  Also know that you will find exactly what you are looking for in one of our amazing chapters, just make sure to keep a positive, open mind and to listen to what your heart tells you. 

With Rho G Love,
Melissa Heinitz