Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Christy Levasseur | Rho Gamma



Hey there! My name is Christy Levasseur and I'm so excited to be serving our Greek community as a Rho Gamma this fall for formal sorority recruitment. I'm a junior here at Wichita State studying nursing. I am super excited as this is my first year to be a rho gamma. I just can't wait to meet all the beautiful PNM's and help all of you to find your home here at Wichita State.

I attended Augusta high school in Augusta, KS. This was the biggest small town I have ever known. I decided to attend Wichita State because it was far enough away from there but not too far if I wanted to go home. The bad part was that my first year I was going to be driving back and forth from Augusta to school each day. I knew that not living in the dorms would cause me to have issues making new friends in college. Since a lot of students do this at Wichita state it is pretty important to get involved in order to make those connections. This is where I was lost because there are so many clubs to join that it seemed overwhelming.

I had always thought about going Greek because its something that many campuses have in common so I figured it would be a great idea to be involved in something that is nationally recognized. Although I knew that I wanted to go through formal recruitment, my parents were very skeptical. They thought that I would be a part of the stereotypical Greek community that is often showed in movies and tv shows. I reassured them this would not happen.

Finally, about a month before recruitment I signed up. I was super nervous I would never fit in and that I would not be wanted. As I went thru each night of formal recruitment, I began to realize all that being Greek on our campus could offer. I learned that its more than just making friends, and that it's about being a leader, an active member of helping our communities, and a striver for academic excellence. Being Greek doesn't make us better than others but it allows others to expect more of ourselves. I wanted to be a part of everything this encompassed.

The last night of recruitment I was stuck between the last two chapters. I just couldn't make the choice because I loved both of them and the wonderful women in those chapters. My rho gamma was there for me to help me thru the entire decision process, but on this night I needed her guiding more than anything. She gave me the best advice I ever could have asked for. She told me that I needed to choose the house not where I just fit in, but where I saw the women I would most like to be like. That's when I made the decision that I would never look back and change.

Being Greek has changed me completely. I would not be who I am or where I am at in life without this experience. It's unbelievable that you could meet a group of women who build you up, stand beside you, and believe in you. Being Greek opens up opportunities that you could never have seen before. It's not the easiest choice you will ever make, but I promise you it's the best choice you will ever make. I can't wait to see all the future women leaders of the Greek community that we will have in the new PNMs this year. My rho gamma helped me focus my decision and was there for whatever I needed. I'm super excited to help the Greek community grow and prosper as a rho gamma, but more importantly I'm excited to help some wonderful women find their letters here at Wichita State.

Best of Luck,

Christy Levasseur