Friday, June 21, 2013

Susan Lickteig | Rho Gamma

Hello Potential New Members!

My name is Susan Lickteig and I am a recruitment counselor for the red team during this year’s Formal Recruitment process. I am a sophomore here at Wichita State and I am majoring in Secondary Education Mathematics. I have spent my entire life in Wichita. I attended Wichita High School East and when it came down to choosing a university, I could not think of leaving Wichita.

I was raised a Shocker and knew that I would be a Shocker for life. Both of my parents went to Wichita State so Shocker pride was very high in my family. Not only did they both go to WSU, but they were both involved in the Greek community as well. Because I was a legacy, I was introduced to sororities at a young age. My mother took me to various events that her sorority held over the years. Had my mother not introduced me to Greek life, I never would have thought about going Greek. I am very grateful for my mother because joining a sorority has been one of the best decisions of my life so far.

After finding my letters, campus life became so much better for me. I live off campus so getting involved on campus was very difficult. Once I joined a sorority, I met so many girls that had the same interests and wanted to get involved just like I did. I became much more active by holding a position within the chapter, joining clubs, volunteering, and meeting others throughout the Greek community. Each sorority is very diverse.

Within each chapter, there are many different personalities and majors. Having such diversity is great because you will have a sister in a majority of your classes. I almost always have sisters that also act as study buddies. In each sorority, scholarship is very important. Some people believe that if they join a sorority they will not have time for their homework but this is far from the truth. The chapters do everything they can to help you succeed. Most chapters provide resources like computers, copiers, printers, old study guides, and some office supplies to help us improve. You should not have to worry about not having time for anything. You can choose how much time you want to put into your chapter. But once you see how great Greek life is, I am confident that you will want to get involved in your chapter’s leadership roles, philanthropy, sisterhood events, formals, and mixers.

When I went through the recruitment process last year as a freshman I had my heart set on one sorority, my mother’s. However, on the first night I realized that I was interested in all of the chapters. I was opened up to all of the values and philanthropies and it made my decision so much more difficult. Luckily, I had a great recruitment counselor to help me along the way. She was very encouraging and told me to pick the chapter that I connected with the most. I hope to be just as supportive as she was and I cannot wait to help you find your letters and your sisters that you will have for life!



Have a great summer!
Susan Lickteig