Friday, June 28, 2013

Maddie Starns | Rho Gamma


Hello! My name is Madison Starns, and I am going to be a SUPER senior (unfortunately) this fall at Wichita State. I am a Spanish and Elementary Education Major, so that is my excuse for not graduating yet! This will still only be my fourth year at WSU, though, and my first time as a Rho Gamma, which I am very excited about!

I transferred to WSU after a semester of attending Barton County Community College, and realized soon that I was not having a great college experience that I heard everyone telling me that they were having. My mom was actually the person that encouraged me to go Greek. I could not picture myself in a sorority, and hated the idea, but, I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. I decided that being disconnected from the university and feeling lost/alone on campus needed to end. So, I went through formal recruitment and realized that I was very naïve about Greek life here at WSU. Each chapter was giving me so much information about what all they did! I had no idea it was so much more than just hanging out together or having rules. I was very nervous throughout the whole process and had a hard time staying motivated to return, but when it was over, I realized that it was the best decision that I could have possibly made. The women in the chapter that I chose truly cared about me and making me feel at home.

Now that I am Greek here, I can be proud of myself for helping the community in many different ways, participating in campus activities like hippodrome and songfest, holding an excellent GPA, and creating relationships that are sure to last through my lifetime. I am a more confident, independent, creative, responsible, and involved woman since joining my chapter. People that knew me before going Greek might also argue that I am also more pleasing to be around these days!

Going through formal recruitment, my Rho Gamma made sure that I always knew where I was supposed to be, and kept me on track visiting the chapters. During my recruitment, I was also going through cheerleading tryouts, so I was always late. Hanna Shell (my Rho Gamma) ensured that everything would work out, and kept me calm, cool, and collected :). She made sure that I would have a good experience, and represented Greek life very well for WSU. I cannot wait to help my PNMs enjoy their recruitment experience and find their own chapter to call their home away from home! I look forward to meeting you all and am ready to have a good time!!

Maddie Starns


No comments:

Post a Comment