Sunday, July 28, 2013

Amber Hopkins | President



Hey there! My name is Amber Hopkins and I am originally from Marquette, KS. I graduated from Smoky Valley High School and I am now a senior at Wichita State majoring in Criminal Justice and Psychology. Right now, I am an intern with the Wichita Police Department and I work for Communities in School at Jardine Middle Magnet. 

I went through Formal Recruitment my freshman year in the fall of 2010. Going Greek has truly transformed my college years and I cannot imagine what my life would be like had I not made this choice. I have found my truest friends, my roommate, and every job that I have had while at Wichita State all because of Greek Life. 

The Formal Recruitment process started for me when I was contacted by the Recruitment Coordinator at the time. I was nervous about going to a college where I didn’t know anyone but she convinced me that going Greek was the best way to make life long friendships. I first met my Rho Gamma when I moved into Fairmount Towers; all of the Greeks at move-in were so helpful and I knew I wanted to invest my time in an organization that was so willing to invest their time in me. While in the dorms, I convinced one of our current Rho Gammas to go through recruitment with me because I knew that I never wanted to lose touch with her and from what I had heard this was one of the best ways to build the relationships I was looking for. Throughout the process she was my emotional perceiver and I was her logical thinker; for me, Greek life without her would be missing its heartbeat and funny bone. That week of recruitment goes by so fast and my best advice is start making those friendships early and bond with the women who you will soon call sisters because the women standing next to you now will soon be the women you call when life happens, good or bad. 

This is my third year serving on Women’s Panhellenic Association (WPA) and it is truly my favorite part of the year. My first year of recruitment I served as WPA Treasurer and for the past two years I have served as WPA President. Rho Gamma’s are the foundation of recruitment and I recommend you ask them as many questions as possible. They are your “in” to what chapter life is like; all of these women are highly successful chapter members and it is their goal to see you grow in whatever house you choose. Talk to your Rho Gamma and find a chapter of women that exemplify the values you seek to cultivate for yourself in the future; the best fit for you.


With Love,
Amber Hopkins
WPA President
Wichita State University