Friday, July 26, 2013

Kylee Kirchoff | Rho Gamma

Hello, my name is Kylee Kirchoff and this is my second year being a Rho Gamma. I am a senior marketing major at Wichita State. I went to Buhler High School in Buhler, KS. I am so excited to get to help PNMs find their new homes!
 

I went through recruitment in the fall of 2010. I decided to go through this process in order to meet new people. I am not originally from Wichita so I did not know many people when I first arrived. I was really involved in high school and I knew that I wanted to continue to be involved in college. I was not really sure that Greek life was going to be for me. People from my hometown were really surprised to learn that I had gone Greek. There was one other girl from my high school going through recruitment with me, so that made me feel more at ease.
 

After the first night of recruitment I was easily able to narrow down my choices to my top three chapters. The second night I was asked back to two of those chapters. After learning about each chapter’s philanthropy, I knew which chapter I wanted to be a part of. On the last night of recruitment, I only had to go back to my favorite chapter. After the preference party I knew 100% that this chapter was the one for me. I could tell that these girls genuinely cared about each other and were not just putting on a show for recruitment. We also shared the same values, which was very important to me. After joining my chapter I learned that recruitment was not that easy for most women and I am so very thankful that it was for me.
 

I did not know ANYONE who had been in a fraternity or sorority, so I did not know what to expect. All I knew about Greek life I had learned from movies and TV shows. Now I know that this is a horribly inaccurate depiction of what it is like to be a part of a sorority. I always thought sororities wanted cookie cutter perfect girls and now I know that they want strong, unique women. I thought there would be hazing and now I know that being a part of a sisterhood is about building each other up not tearing each other down. I never thought being a part of a sorority would change my life the way it has.
 

I hope you are as excited for recruitment as I am!
 

-Kylee Kirchoff