Friday, July 12, 2013

Destinee Baucum | Rho Gamma



Hello there! My name is Destinee and I am a junior at WSU, and I am majoring in Nursing. I am very active in everything that I do. I was born in Austin, TX and have lived all over the world. I grew up as a military child (Air Force to be exact) I lived twice overseas; once in England and then on an island (Terceira) in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean owned by Portugal. I moved to Wichita after living on Terceira for my sophomore and junior year of high school. I attended Derby High School for my senior of high school and graduated in 2010. I joined my chapter last fall and serving my first year on the Panhellenic Council, the governing body of the sororities, as treasurer. So if you have any questions or concerns about how to pay your application fee then I would be the girl to talk to. I am so excited to be a Rho Gamma (recruitment counselor) and help you find your letters.

Although, I just joined my chapter last year I can full heartily say that it was the best decision I have made in my life. My chapter has been there for me through a lot this last year and I can not imagine my life without my sisters. I originally decided to go Greek through realizing that I wanted more out of my life. I had been commuting back and forth from work, home and school all on my own and got caught up with all three and barely had any time for myself. In high school I was very active with sports, NHS and school and transitioning into college I focused mainly on school, work and my family and neglected myself. I came to realize that I missed being actively involved in my school that I needed to push myself to find the time in my already busy schedule to give back not only to myself but my college community. 

Last year, I was exactly where you were nervous about going through the whole formal recruitment process and finding my own letters. When it came to actual recruitment week I found myself really comfortable with the whole process and I had a great Rho Gamma who was there for me when I did have questions and was excited with me for my journey into Greek life at WSU. Throughout the last year being in my chapter and involved in Women’s Panhellenic Association (WPA) has developed me into an active member in WSU Greek life and strengthened my passion to make a contribution to Wichita State University and my community. Through giving back to my community and university I have grown a deep understanding of the larger picture than just myself and how one person can make a difference. I hope to see all of you lovely ladies when formal recruitment begins!

Destinee Baucum