Monday, July 8, 2013

Mallory Claybrook | Rho Gamma



Hi! My name is Mallory Claybrook, and I am a sophomore this fall at WSU. I am majoring in Finance with a minor in Spanish. I have lived in Wichita my entire life and cannot imagine my life in any other city, or any other school! This is my first year as a Rho Gamma, and I am so excited to have the opportunity to be a part of this side of recruitment and help women find their letters!

In high school, I was always involved in clubs and in band. I was constantly busy and knew that I wanted to be busy in college also. My older sister (who is also a Rho Gamma this year) encouraged me to go Greek. I listened to her experiences of being a sorority woman at WSU and learned that being Greek is a totally different experience than what the media portrays. After talking to my sister I decided that I, too, wanted the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than myself.  So, I decided to go through formal recruitment. Despite the fact that I was a legacy, my sister encouraged me to decide on the chapter that was best for me and not to pick a chapter just because I had family ties.  I made a promise to myself that I would not even think about my biological sister when I was thinking about the women I would like to have as sorority sisters.

During recruitment, I relied a lot on my Rho Gamma to help me sort through my thoughts! She helped me by calming my nerves, answering all my questions and by helping me make the right decision for me. My Rho Gamma helped me a lot by setting apart my sister from myself. I know that I made a good decision in picking the right chapter for me. I was able to choose the chapter whose values fit mine; not my sister’s. Now it is my turn to help women find their own letters!

Going Greek was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Even though I have only been in my chapter for a year, I know have made a difference in my chapter. I currently hold a leadership position in chapter, I have participated in different events, and I have made some of the closest relationships in my life. To me, being Greek is upholding a higher standard academically; giving back to the community through philanthropy and community service; participating in campus activities; supporting campus groups, teams, and organizations; supporting the Greek community by wearing our letters; and truly living the values of our individual chapters in our everyday lives, for the rest of our lives. Being Greek has given me amazing experiences and has taught me so many life lessons…And I’m sure there’s more to come!

I sincerely encourage every woman to try sorority life at WSU. Being a sorority woman opens up so many opportunities and creates so many personal connections not offered anywhere else.

All the best,

Mallory Claybrook